Friday, 25 November 2016
I spent most of today preparing a Tic-Tac-Toe game I made in Visual Basic a few years ago for publishing on my website. I figured it would just be a matter of adding a copyright footer and squashing a few bugs, but I actually received a bit of a shock when I looked at the source code.
Much of the code was repeated and so I spent a lot of the time moving parts of it into subroutines, creating variables and putting large slabs into much smaller loops.
I can honestly say that I think I managed to cut down about 500 lines of code.
It was quite a positive experience, however, as it showed me how much my programming skills have developed (pun intended) in the past few years. Mostly without me noticing.